• A beautifully themed collection of fourteen of the finest unaccompanied British choral masterpieces of the last 125 years performed by award-winning Choir of The King’s Consort.
• The fascinating mix of familiar and unfamiliar includes five ‘paired’ settings: William Harris’s classic 1959 ‘Bring us, O Lord God’ partnered by James MacMillan’s 2010 setting of the same words; Herbert Howells’ devastatingly poignant ‘Take him, earth, for cherishing’ (in memory of the slain President Kennedy) juxtaposed with John Tavener’s 2008 response to the same text; ‘Justorum animae’ (‘The souls of the righteous’) in versions by Lennox Berkeley, Charles Villiers Stanford and Herbert Murrill; heartfelt settings of ‘Drop, drop, slow tears’ by Kenneth Leighton and Thomas Hewitt Jones; and Stanford’s beautifully crafted ‘I heard a voice from Heaven’ coupled with Herbert Howell’s exquisite, mystical setting of the same words.
• The collection is completed with three impressive single works: Parry’s valedictory ‘Lord, let me know mine end’, William Harris’s masterwork ‘Faire is the Heaven’, and a stunningly powerful recording of John Tavener’s ‘Song for Athene’, which sprang to global fame when performed at the funeral of Diana, Princess of Wales.
• Recorded in the well-nigh perfect acoustic of St Jude’s Church, London, by the award-winning production team of David Hinitt and Adrian Peacock.
• Extensive presentation includes 64 page booklet with authoritative liner note in three languages by conductor Robert King, together with full sung texts and session photographs.
A Voice from Heaven - British Choral Masterpieces:
Berkeley, Lennox: Justorum animae
Harris, William Henry:
Bring us, O Lord God
Faire is the Heaven
Hewitt Jones, Thomas: Drop, drop, slow tears
Howells, Herbert Norman:
Take him, earth, for cherishing
I heard a voice from Heaven
Leighton, Kenneth: Drop, Drop Slow Tears
MacMillan, James: Bring us, O Lord
Murrill, Herbert Henry John: The souls of the righteous
Parry, Charles Hubert Hastings: Lord, let me know mine end (No. 6 from Songs of Farewell)
Stanford, Charles Villiers:
I heard a voice from heaven
Justorum animae, Op. 38 No. 1
Song for Athene
Take Him Earth For Cherishing