In celebration of “Slava’s” 90th birthday in March 2017, Deutsche Grammophon presents some of his greatest and most popular recordings on 3 CDs including: The legendary Dvořák Cello Concerto with Karajan, the Chopin Cello Sonata with Martha Argerich, and the Brahms Cello Sonata No. 1 with Rudolf Serkin. Plus a selection of hard-to-find and beautiful encores.
Not only a cellist, a conductor, a pianist and a trained composer, Rostropovich was – in the words of his pupil David Geringas – “an entire universe unto himself”, a man whose subject was not merely music alone, but “the whole world”: The world of humanity, of emotion, of intellect, of communication and of understanding.
• 3 CDs presenting Rostropovich’s best-loved recordings
• Includes several recordings of hard-to-find encores
• The perfect introduction to one of the world’s best loved cellists
• New liner notes by cello connoisseur Jürgen Ostmann
• Rare b/w and colour photographs
• PACKAGING: A handsome digipack