• For his fifth recording with the Deutsches Symphonie-Orchester Berlin, Robin Ticciati conducts a captivating programme of Richard Strauss including Tod und Verklärung and Don Juan. • The scandalous story of the insatiable Don Juan forms the inspiration for a tone poem which is rich in imagination and dramatic flourishes.
• Tod und Verklärung is further testament to Strauss’s vivid imagination; his exploration of the mystery of death and what may follow was written when he was only twenty-five.
• Ticciati is a consummate Straussian, as his triumphant Rosenkavalier at Glyndebourne demonstrated, and his complete control of phrase shape and dynamics delivers performances of tremendous power and lucidity.
• Soprano Louise Alder joins Ticciati and the DSO to record what she describes as ‘a fiendish but beloved cycle of Strauss songs’: Sechs Lieder, Op. 68, affectionately known as the Brentano Lieder.
• The recording will be released to coincide with Ticciati’s fourth season as Music Director of the DSO.
BBC Music Magazine December 2020 *****